Monday, May 29, 2006

It's a god-damn miracle this country can do anything

Holy shit. I am trying to do some research for my school work, which entails finding out how many international workers are taken in on the temporary worker visa and what kinds of jobs they are doing... all of the info about the temp worker visa is posted on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada site, so I calls them. Nope, I needs to talk to HRSDC. HRSDC does not keep a list, but rather looks at the specs on the job itself and makes sure that all proper legislation is respected regarding the employer's request for a temp worker. They said call Stats Can. Stats Can sez if they ever get that data it is because they request it from HRSDC. So in a second call to HRSDC I get the same refrain re what they do, but this time an told that final decisions are made by CIC because CIC then needs to then decide if the individual who is coming to Canada to do the work passes the grade re no criminal record, passing a medical etc. So then I calls CIC again, who this time points me to a page on the website where they track numbers, but not the job roles that are performed by temporary workers. But codes for levels of skill are given, and as I try to browse the search function for what kinds of jobs fall into what level, Norton Anti-Virus detects and blocks a worm when a goofy error message comes up as I try to flip through the pages. Then I give up.

What does this tell you?
1. The government loves acronyms
2. The goverment gets a D- on its ability to communicate meaningful and succinct information (It's all relative. Not an F because I am confident in assuming that e.g. China and Uzbekistan are worse)
3. It makes no sense that i am a left libertarian who believes in a strong central government to allocate resources for the social good (transit, unemployment insurance, universal healthcare, daycare and such) yet who feels the one we have is utterly useless at performing any role, neoliberalization of the state or not.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do not even get me started on things governmental these days. And I am not talking abut Mr. Harper and his ridiculous ideas on what open and accountable mean (buddy, selecting who gets to ask you questions is NOT open NOR accountable). No, I am talking about the bureaucratic nightmare that is the RFP I am responding to (all 67 pages of it) and all of the crap that goes on behind it. Anyhooo - this is only sort of a comment on your post and a lot about my own issues at this moment in time. Hhmmmmmm.

Mon May 29, 03:41:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home