Sunday, August 20, 2006

Kids dropping off kids at the pool: A sociophysical tragedy

After the past few weeks of going to the pool not nearly enough (that thesis thing occupying all my time and energy), yesterday I put on my suit and wandered over to the community centre. Upon requesting a pool pass, I was informed that the pool had been "fouled." Eyebrows raised, I said "ok" and in the same breath asked "What does that mean?". Apparently, that means "they pooed in the pool", they being the kids who use the pool during the recreation hour that comes before grown up lane swim on a Saturday aft. Quite literally, some kids dropped the kids off at the pool. My guess is that this is not yet another of the myriad tragedies associated with neoliberal downsizing of social and educational institutions in Ontario by the conservative goverment in the 1990s, but rather a function of 1. some very little kid who didn't know any better, and/or 2. lackadasical parenting. In either case, this sociophysical tragedy hurts kids and me, and may well grow to pandemic proportions unless its addressed at the source.

Consider yourself warned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home