Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Rules for living: How this shit works

Rule #6: Template for life. At least for tomorrow
I started school 21 months ago, and I have only just figured out what is the "template" of my day. In typical ox fashion. True, in the past I have had classes and teaching and such in the way that have prevented me from taking absolute ownership of the whole day. [Yes, I know that I was technically a "teaching assistant", but the prof for whom I TAed did very little to engage his TAs in these little essential teaching thingies called "curriculum" and "syllabi" so I was on my own. All "T" and no "A" as we say in the biz.]
Anyway, I shant keep the six of you waiting any longer. Taa-daa. The template for my day. Please borrow and adjust as you see fit should you too be one of those humans who can spend three hours deciding where to go for coffee and a mere 15 minutes reading when you get there.

How this shit works
Morning is for "work." If you had a job, it would go here. May include, for now, things like apply for jobs, household responsiblities that need a phone, and when you are done with those, writing the major paper / AAG / global cities chapter. Also includes paper reading and errands. Any research project work is done in this time.
Afternoon is for "writing". For now major paper / AAG / global cities chapter.
6-10ish is for "non-school" E.g. house time, eating, swimming, errands, because you are useless at this time for other stuff. Note that crazy-lady letter writing does not constitute as "writing". Crazy lady indulgence is delegated to "non-school" portion of day.
10-12 or 1 is for reading. Not for sitting in front of computer thinking you may start to work at any minute. No, reading, and as you read you make notes so that you can type them in "work" or "writing" time the next day.

As you will see, it is now something in the neighbourhood of five to ten minutes past 10 pm. Time to quit self indulgence and get to my Post-Fordism reader. Note that Megan is holding all my MultiWorld calls, but I'll call you back within the next two business days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home